Nick Lamb, from Indianapolis, was finally allowed to stay home by himself since turning 13 this year. Although Nick is deaf he has special hearing aids to help him hear. In the afternoon of July 16, Nick was tired and went to bed to take a nap. Nick's mother, Lindsay, was working at the time. What started out to be a typical day was anything but that!
In the garage, an electrical fire started and smoke began to fill the house! Now the smoke alarms were all going off with their loud and piercing sounds. But Nick couldn't hear a thing! He had taken out his special hearing aids as he would normally do before going to bed. He kept on sleeping. No one was with him except Pixie, the cat, and Ace, a two-year-old pit bull. Pixie did not know what to do, but Ace did! Ace went to Nick's bed and began licking his face. Nick woke up briefly but started to drift off again. So Ace kept on licking his face. Nick knew something was wrong; then he saw the smoke filling the house! He grabbed his phone and implants, and quickly got out of the house! Ace followed.
Nick called 911 and his mother. The fire department came right away, but it was too late to save the house. It was a good thing that Ace had come to the rescue! The Fire Captain said Nick would have probably died if it hadn't been for Ace. Nick and his family are so glad to have Ace! What a hero!