A Pleasant Prairie woman told me that she really liked our publication, but she had an issue she wanted to bring to my attention. She was disappointed in what I said about foster parents in the July edition. I wrote in my article, "Not all foster parents are bad, but for many, it is only a paycheck." I should have been more clear about this, so I will now. For too many, it is just a paycheck, and they don't care much for the children, BUT for the vast majority of foster parents, it's a different story. Most foster parents really care about the children that are in their care, even loving them as their own. For a lot of children, it is a place of hope. I want to say thank you to all who are really trying to give these children a loving home - and that is most of you.
You know, it's too bad that 1 or 2% of a group can make the whole group look bad. Often the media doesn't help, broadcasting a story as quickly and loudly as possible. And many times it is not the media's fault at all; the fault lies with the person(s) doing the wrong and giving their associates a bad name. I know many times the media can hype up a story, but most times they are just reporting.
When I hear about a "homeschool family" not schooling their children, that irks me, as it does most true homeschooling families! I make sure my children's education is up to the state standard or beyond! But the 1 or 2% of parents that are shirking their duties are making it harder on the ones who are not. Also one or two bad teachers in a public school draws negative attention to the other teachers who are doing their jobs.
What about a negligent doctor, or a mean coach, or a heartless lawyer? What about a crazy Christian, or a hateful parent, or a bad encounter with someone of a different race than yours? These people make it look bad for all the good ones out there!
One rogue cop who is caught doing wrong makes people question all the other police officers who are decent. It's unfortunate, but that is the case. The vast majority of police officers are respectful, helpful, caring, honorable individuals!
I could go on and on about other groups, but it all comes down to this: It's too bad that 1-2% makes the other 98% look bad!